[latexrefman] Looking for feedback on URL scheme for split pages

Hefferon, Jim S. jhefferon at smcvt.edu
Sat Sep 8 01:44:02 CEST 2018

I'm fooling around with the split pages.  I've put in a local .css file and I'll upload that pretty soon, maybe tomorrow.  But I've been trying to come up with a more memorable URL scheme than the perfectly general one that Texinfo (very sensibly) uses.

I wonder what folks think of what I have that is illustrated here.

  http://joshua.smcvt.edu/latexrefman/cmd-day-and-cmd-month-and-cmd-year.html

(I've got lots of files in that directory but this one file illustrates the idea.)  I have a script that can make include files, and softlinks, but this illustrates that the script also can make .html files in addition to the ones that Texinfo produces.  In place of backslash I have "cmd-" and in place of ampersand I have "-and-".  I also handle other _00xx cases.

Inside that page I have a link to \today, and I've changed the URL there to be the same, "cmd-today" so that a person who finds the page they want and the copies it will copy a memorable link.

Just leaving out the backslash, which works for _005ctoday.html --> today.html doesn't work so well for cases like the above, and also doesn't handle ampersands, parentheses, etc.  So I tried something a little more.

Just a draft and maybe folks will tell me it is just not working out.  Maybe more is too much.  But rather than put it in the repo, etc., I thought I'd first do a sanity check.  I wonder what people think?

Jim