[latexrefman] Terminal input/output and Command line

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Jun 27 23:34:19 CEST 2018

    For Command line I gave a synopsis of the calling syntax (commands after
    the filename?).

It's not possible to put commands after a bare input filename. It's all
covered by the first-line-with-backslash case.

That is, either
  pdflatex foo
or
  pdflatex '\input foo \commands'

The command line is treated as if it were typed in response to the
initial ** prompt. I'm not sure if we (want to) go into any interactive
use, since it's so infrequent.

The \input does not have to be first. It's just a TeX input stream if it
starts with \. For example:
  pdflatex '\nonstopmode\input foo'
I habitually use this, since I generally don't want interaction, and I
was doing this long before the -interaction option existed. I guess
nowadays using -interaction is clearer.

On another front, I think it would be better not to repeat the different
cmdlines for the "latex" engine. Instead, give them once and then say a
cleaned-up version of "pdflatex program could also be latex (dvi
output), xelatex (xetex engine, pdf output), lualatex (luatex engine,
pdf output), dvilualatex (luatex engine, dvi output)".

Also, I'm not sure about giving these two separately:
  pdflatex @var{option} ... @var{latex-filename} @var{commands}
  pdflatex @var{option} ... @var{latex-filename}.tex @var{commands}
Might be clearer to say the filename is extended with .tex if needed,
since it's really the same thing, giving a filename. (How I wish Knuth
  had not done those default extension extendings.)

Finally, I think the default shell-restricted behavior (for TL and, I
hope, for MiKTeX?) should be mentioned. --thanks, karl.