[latexrefman] latex-info Lengths

Vincent Belaïche vincent.belaiche at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 19:21:17 CEST 2018

Hello,

Concerning lengths…

I think we should be more clear about scope of defining length / counter
/ macros, and compare LaTeX to TeX, and how LaTeX adds on top of TeX.

For instance LaTeX counters are defined globally contrary to TeX counters.

LaTeX length and macros are to that respect (ie as far as scope is
concerned) the same as TeX lengths and macros AFAIK, just the LaTeX
interface makes more consistency checking, and as for lengths I  am not
sure about the allocator (that defines some control sequence \somelength
as \dimen<xxx>) is the same between TeX and LaTeX.

Also, the info node about predefined counters \day, \month, etc… is
confusing because these are TeX counter, not LaTeX counters, but the
manual does not speak ever of TeX counters. This node should explain
that one can fix the today date from the command line as follows:

pdflatex \day2\month6\year2018 \input mydocument

As far as dates are concerned, mentioning datetime2 rather than datetime
teach you the French phrase for this…).

As far as length units are concerned, it might be good to say that the
difference of pt and bp, is that pt makes unit conversion easier — but I
can't remember why ;-/ …

   Vincent.