[latexrefman] tabbing environment \` and \<

Vincent Belaïche vincent.belaiche at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 14:41:43 CEST 2017

Hello,

I can't understand this statement:

  However, it can't move text to the right of the last column because
  there's no tab stop there.

I can't understand this statement. I tried this:

\begin{tabbing}
  aaabbbccc\=\kill
  Salut\+\\
  Bonjour\`\a`a droite\\
\end{tabbing}

I get something like that:

   Salut
            Bonjour                       à droite

So « à droite » is moved to the right of the last column.

I my example the last column is the 2nd column, that at tab #1, and the
first column is at tab #0. We should simply say that the right of the
last column is the same thing as the right margin of the tabbing
environment.

Wat we should say however, is that we need \` in addition to \', because
the right of the last column, ie the right margin of the environment is
not a tab, so it can't be accessed by \'. In other words  following does not work:

\begin{tabbing}
  aaabbbccc\=\kill
  Salut\\
  \>Bonjour\>\'\a`a droite\\
\end{tabbing}

because there are only tab #0 and #1, \>\> would move to #2 that does
not exist. So we need to do it this way:

\begin{tabbing}
  aaabbbccc\=\kill
  Salut\\
  \>Bonjour\`\a`a droite\\
\end{tabbing}

Maybe we should say somewhere that #0 is always there and is not
created by \=, and that \= create the tabs starting from tab #1.

Also, I think that the description of \< is confusing. I would simply
say that we move to the preceding tab, so if we are on tab #n and we
have x consecutive \<, we start on tab #(n-x). Of course, we need to
keep the satement that \< must be the first command in a row.

  Vincent.

---