[latexrefman-discuss] [latexrefman-commits] r537 - in /trunk: ChangeLog NEWS-fr README README-fr latex2e-fr.texi latex2e.texi

Vincent Belaïche vincent.belaiche at domain.hid
Tue Sep 6 07:36:37 CEST 2016

Dear Karl,

Le 06/09/2016 à 00:35, Karl Berry a écrit :
> Vincent,
>
>     * latex2e.texi (\newenvironment & \renewenvironment): Add an
>     @findex for ``group''.
>
> It doesn't make sense to index a concept like "group" or "positional
> parameter" every time it needs to be used in an explanation.  It would
> be too frequent to be useful.

How frequent would it be indeed ? I think that the term "positional
parameter" is used only in the `\newcommand & \renewcommand' and
`\newenvironment & \renewenvironment', and these are the two entries in
the concept index. `group' is indexed only once.

> (We should have a general explanation of
> the group concept somewhere early on.)

That would certainly be a better approach, notably for groups as we
could be more comprehensive about them. For instance I think that LaTeX
counters, contrary to TeX ones, are global:

\newcounter{toto}\setcounter{toto}{2}{\setcounter{toto}{3}}==\thetoto==

will output ==3==

If we create a `group' node, that would worth mentionning.

Maybe we could also say something like:

Follow the \newcommand{\foo}{...} by \global\let\foo\foo to make \foo
definition global.

> Please normally put @*index commands at the beginning of the containing
> paragraph (unless the paragraph is exceptionally long, in which case it
> should most likely be split up), rather than at the exact place where
> the phrase occurs.

One more comment is that ``group'' should have used the cindex and not
the findex. I did the mistake as I thought that we had merged these two
indices as you wanted to do that. I will fix this as long with moving
the @*index to the beginning of paragraph.

> This both keeps the source more readable and is more useful for
> readers because it provides context when looking up the term.  I know
> that implies the page reference in TeX might be wrong in unlucky
> cases, but I think it's worth the price.
>
> Please try to keep lines in the ChangeLog (and latex2e.texi) to <=79 chars.

Ooops...

> Thanks,
> Karl

VBR,