[latexrefman-discuss] Fwd: REVIEW REQUEST - user manual generation

Vincent Belaïche vincent.belaiche at domain.hid
Mon May 9 15:03:08 CEST 2016

Hello Gavin,

Feedback below...

Le 05/05/2016 21:55, Gavin Smith a écrit :
> On 3 May 2016 at 10:13, Vincent Belaïche <vincent.belaiche at domain.hid> wrote:
>> Anyway that is not a final answer to the issue of odd filenames. For
>> instance a filename like '^^20.texi' would be misinterpreted as
>> ' .texi' by the latest patch which I have submitted.
>
> I got ^ to work in a filename using the method in that patch (using
> \relax more as a terminator which mean that ^^0 wasn't needed as a
> space character).
>
> % didn't work. I haven't investigated why not.
>
> Space isn't done. I have an idea of how to do it, but it's not certain
> whether it will work.
>
> Latest version at
>
> http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/trunk/util/texi2dvi?revision=7147&root=texinfo&view=markup

Ok,

I have done the following modifications:

1) use sed instead of grep to test whether the filename has funny
   characters
   => this way tangling with LC_ALL is not needed, neither running under
   round-bracketed subshell

2) Choose the egroup character
   => so you could have '>' in the filename
   (*nix only, > is not a valid filename char in MSW)

3) re-catcode only those funny characters that are actually in the
   filename

4) use catcode 12 (other) rather than 11 (letter) for re-catcoding

5) Make filename a separate argument (so MSYS translation stuff is not jeopardized)

6) support '%' in filename (that did not work in your update because it
   was not part of the re-catcoded characters

7) support "'" in filename (no TeX tricks here, only sh escaping)

8) \string-prefix '^' in case of filename containing a quadrigram

I guess that with all those changes, but except for the space that is a
deep tex engine limitation, only the Devil could find a valid filename
not working.

   Vincent.