[latexrefman-discuss] Add descriptions of built-in LaTeX classes

Hefferon, James S. jhefferon at domain.hid
Mon Apr 13 00:10:47 CEST 2015

Node changed: Document classes

Commit message: in subject

Jim

Learn to see the world in its true light.
  -- R E Lee

*** latex2e.texi	2015-04-12 17:04:10.768956046 -0400
--- latex2e.texi.jim	2015-04-12 18:07:12.884799098 -0400
***************
*** 243,249 ****
  @end enumerate

  An open-ended list of other files might be created.  We won't try to
! list them all.  Xxx components?

  @findex \ @r{character starting commands}
  @findex [...] @r{for optional arguments}
--- 243,250 ----

! @c xx components?

  @findex \ @r{character starting commands}
  @findex [...] @r{for optional arguments}
***************
*** 292,322 ****
  @cindex classes of documents
  @findex \documentclass

! The class of a given document is defined with the command:

  @example
  \documentclass[@var{options}]@{@var{class}@}
  @end example

- @noindent
- The @code{\documentclass} command must be the first command in a
- @LaTeX{} source file.

  @findex article @r{class}
  @findex report @r{class}
  @findex book @r{class}
  @findex letter @r{class}
  @findex slides @r{class}
! Built-in @LaTeX{} document @var{class} names are (many other document
! classes are available as add-ons; @pxref{Overview}):
!
! @example
! article  report  book  letter  slides
! @end example
!
! @c xx briefly describe each one

! Standard @var{options} are described below.

  @menu
  * Document class options::   Global options.
--- 293,334 ----
  @cindex classes of documents
  @findex \documentclass

! The document's overall class is defined with this command, which must be
! the first command in a @LaTeX{} source file.

  @example
  \documentclass[@var{options}]@{@var{class}@}
  @end example

  @findex article @r{class}
  @findex report @r{class}
  @findex book @r{class}
  @findex letter @r{class}
  @findex slides @r{class}
! The following document @var{class} names are built into @LaTeX{}.  (Note
! that many other document classes are available as add-ons;
! @pxref{Overview}.)
!
! @table @code
! @item article
! For an article in a scientific journals, a presentation, and miscellaneous
! general use.
!
! @item book
! Full-length books, including chapters and possibly including front
! matter such as a preface and back matter such as an appendix
! (@pxref{Front/back matter}).
!
! @item report
! For documents of length between an @code{article} and a @code{book},
! such as technical reports or theses, which may contain several chapters.
!
! @item slides
! For transparency slides for presentations (rarely used today).
! @end table

! Standard @var{options} are described separately.