[l2h] Black bars under integral signs when thelimitsof integration are -\infty and +\infty or analgebraicfraction for each of the upper and lower limits

Pat Somerville l_pat_s at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 14 04:10:04 CEST 2011

Thanks, Nasser M. Abbasi, for kindly making the test of \int\limits
_{-\infty}^{+\infty} on your computer and for providing some information
about the software on your computer, including how you run pdflatex and
LaTeX2HTML.  I get the impression that the latex and pdflatex commands may
run very simlar programs, if not exactly the same program because something
about PDFLaTeX or some similar spelling appeared when I executed a command
of the form "latex File.tex" on my computer.  I tried matching a few things
on my computer that you did not your computer, for example using HTML
version 4.0 instead of 3.2, using $DVIPSOPT='-E'; in
/usr/lib/latex2html/l2hconf.pm, etc.  But unfortunately on my computer I
could not get rid of the unwanted black line segment under the integral sign
and its limits of integration.

It appears that you and I have recently been using the same version of the
TeX Live "Base," namely including version 3.1415926 of 2009 of TeX Live.
However, you have been using ../TeX/Base in a Debian system called Ubuntu,
whereas I have been using it in an RPM- (RedHat Package Manager-) based
system called OpenSUSE 11.3.  For the moment I am going to assume that the
Debian-RPM difference by itself is unimportant with regard to the unwanted
black line segments.  It is nice that you have a working situation for
\int\limits _{-\infty} ^{+\infty}.  So, if you don't mind, I would like to
sort of probe it in order to see where my trouble might be.  Of interest to
me are your versions of LaTeX2HTML, which is part of /TeX/Utilities and
Netpbm, which I think may include the program pnmcrop, which I think is very
important in cropping images.  So please report your installed versions of
those software packages to me.  I saw that on your computer the command
"latex2html -v" unfortunately I think did not result in a display of the
version of LaTeX2HTML you are using.  So if you don't already know them,
please note your versions of latex2html and dvips or dvips(k) by looking at
the latex2html output after inputting a latex2html... command.   Also please
type "netpbm -version" and "perl -v" and report your respective installed
versions of Netpbm and Perl to me.  Thanks.

Pat