[l2h] Black bars under integral signs when thelimitsof integration are -\infty and +\infty or analgebraicfraction for each of the upper and lower limits

Pat Somerville l_pat_s at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 13 20:47:44 CEST 2011

In my request earlier in this chain of e-mail letters that LaTeX2HTML users
perform the \int\limits _{-\infty}^{+\infty} experiment for me, I would like
to add to my list of requested users' installed software packages:

the operating system of the user,

the version of the Perl interpreter installed (obtainable via the command
"perl -v" in a Linux operating system),

and the versions of TeX Live (texlive) and texlive-latex installed [The
Linux command "tex -v" or "tex live -v" may be one way to obtain the version
of TeX Live.  In my case in an OpenSUSE-11.3, Linux operating system in Yet
another Software Tool 2 (YaST2) I could under "Software Management" enter
"texlive" in a search of installed software packages; select texlive from
the cases found; and then click on the "Technical" or "Technical data" tab
to see the version information for texlive.  Then by clicking on
"texlive-latex" and then on the "Technical" or "Technical data" tab I could
see the version date for its installed version.)

My data for these things are presently for texlive and texlive-latex
"2009-12.11--noarch from openSUSE-11.3-1.82 with priority 99 and vendor
openSUSE."  And the command "tex live -v" resulted in "This is TeX, Version
3.1415926 (Tex Live 2009/openSUSE) ! I can't find 'live.' "  And the version
of my Linux operating system is OpenSUSE 11.3, or perhaps in more detail
11.3-1.82.

With much ignorance on my part of the internal workings of  the various
computer codes a strategy could be to search among the data from people who
don't have the unwanted black line segment under the .html equivalent of
\int\limits _{-\infty}^{+\infty} for a common version of a program which I
don't have installed.  Then I could consider the version of that
corresponding program that I do have installed suspect in causing the
unwanted, horizontal, black line segment.

To replace the suspect program a conservative approach could be to first
back up one's hard-disk drive and then replace all of the "Base" and
"Utilities" components of "TeX Live" with a version of the same program in
which the unwanted black line segment did not appear for another user.  But
YaST2 appears to do a good job at "keeping track" of the dependencies of one
computer code on another (I think the Yellow-dog Update Manager [YUM] may
perform some functions similar to YaST2 in one or more other distributions
of a Linux operating system.).  So a less conservative approach at software
replacement could be to replace just the suspect program within a larger
package of programs and let YaST2 make the necessary dependency
adjustments.---And making those dependency adjustments might require being
online.  However, there might be a problem with this approach, for example
if the OpenSUSE-11.3 repositories don't have a desired older version of a
computer program available for downloading.  Beyond that if the older
version of a program is obtained from outside an OpenSUSE-11.3 repository,
one could just hope that YaST2 would be designed intelligently enough to
detect dependency problems and help a user with obtaining and making the
necessary dependency replacements.  YaST2 appears to be pretty good!
Perhaps it might be able to do or help with those sorts of things.

Also I could be switching to OpenSUSE 11.4 Linux within some weeks.
However, to keep the number of variables from becoming too large, I think it
would be logical to if possible eliminate the unwanted black line segments
at the bottoms of some .png (Portable Network Graphics) images before making
that switch.

But the best approach of all would be to have the suspect code in the
suspect program delimited and fixed or made compatible with the other
computer programs with which it must able to work.  Perhaps the more data I
provide on my own relevant computer software and its use, the more likely an
expert on one or more of the programs can guess in which one of them there
could be a problem or else a problem of incompatibility with the other
computer programs it requires to run well.  I provided some data on my
relevant computer software and from some experiments I executed.  Here I
write "Thank you" to anyone trying to help me.

Pat