[l2h] plastex

Igor Peshansky pechtcha at cs.nyu.edu
Wed Nov 15 16:16:37 CET 2006

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Juergen Fenn wrote:

> Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> writes:
>
> > Following the instructions in INSTALL, I then tried command:
> >
> >    python setup.py install
> >
> > I get a pop-up window from the 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem saying:
>
> Is there still 16 bit in Win XP?

Yes, and the below error usually happens when you try to run a shell
script as an executable (i.e., if there is a shell script named .com or
something).  IIRC, ".com" is also used for shell scripts on VMS, so there
may be some unfortunate system detection issues...

> >    Command Prompt - python setup.py install
> >    The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
> >    CS:0660 IP:01a9 OP:65 63 69 66 79
> >    Choose 'Close" to terminate the application.python
> >
> > I'm using ActiveState's ActivePython 2.4.3, and I have in my path:
> > d:\language\activestate\python\.   [including the period]
> >
> > What now??
>
> No idea whether there could be a difference between ActiveState's
> Python and the version I downloaded directly from python.org.

The one you get from python.org is compiled with MinGW, IIRC.  AS Python
is its own beast.

> And would you mind to please stop top-posting? It would make it so
> much easier to read your mails. Thank you.

Hear, hear.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/