[l2h] node

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Mar 31 00:24:57 CEST 2006

Hello Ivan, and Igor,

On 31/03/2006, at 2:16 AM, Igor Peshansky wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, ivan danicic wrote:
>
>> Hello, I wanted to do this in the tex file:
>> {\htmladdtonavigation{
>> {\htmladdnormallink{http:something}}
>> {LINK}
>> }}

This syntax is quite wrong!
It should be:

{\htmladdtonavigation{
  \htmladdnormallink{http://something}{LINK}
}}

>> The problem was the LINK.

No it wasn't --- it was having too many redundant braces,
of which one pair separated a macro from its intended argument.

>> This was intended to point to another \section

If it's on the same page, then the http://  isn't needed,
you just need   #<name>.

If it's another page in the same directory, then again
it isn't needed, just give the page-name.

If you want to use a symbolic \label that's in your LaTeX code,
then  \htmlref  is the macro to use, not \htmladdnormallink .
Also, \hyperref  can be used, but check the LaTeX2HTML
documentation for the required number of arguments and what
they are used for; and ...

>> in the same document. I tried to use the name of the \label for that
>> section but this did not work. Eventually I used "node2.html" for
>> the LINK and this worked ok.
>> I don't like this as it was generated by l2h and I had to look at
>> it to
>> find what it is. Is there a more elegant solution?

Yes -- get the syntax correct.
That's always a good start.

> Umm, "hyperref"?  Something like {\hyperref[somelabel]{Special
> Section}}}
> (instead of your \htmladdnormallink) should work...  You'll need to
> \usepackage{hyperref}.

  ... completely ignore this advice.
It does absolutely nothing for the LaTeX2HTML translation.
It can only affect processing of your document with LaTeX itself.

Besides, the  html.sty  package already calls on  hyperref  when
processing with pdfTeX as the engine. This is done at an
appropriate time so that slight incompatibilities can be fixed.
If you try mixing the two packages yourself, it can lead to
serious problems that cannot be solved easily.

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au