[l2h] Another take on the 'no images' problem

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 7 10:05:10 CEST 2006

> Maybe the graphicx package is one of those that don't detect pdflatex
> correctly?

hahaha.

> I was premature in announcing my solution to the 'no dvi' problem.
> The command line switch has no effect if the preamble includes
>
> /usepackage[pdftex]{graphics}

so (modulo the direction of the "\") you were *telling* the graphics
package to switch to pdf mode.

> but works fine if the pdftex option is removed.

what a surprise.

> My solution uses
> oberdiek's ifpdf package:
>
> \ifpdf
> \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
> \else
> \usepackage{graphicx}
> \fi

the default graphics.cfg detects the latter case and selects pdftex or
dvips options according to whether the package is running under pdftex
... using tests written by heiko o.

so

  \usepackage{graphicx}

has the same effect as the your technique above.

in ordinary use, on a free distribution of latex, you only need a
graphics package switch if you're using something eccentric like
dvipdfm