[l2h] Image conversion

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Oct 28 03:42:40 CEST 2005

Hi Bob,

On 28/10/2005, at 10:07 AM, Bob van der Poel wrote:

> I think I had and solved this one before ... but I'm no Perl
> expert ... but, after "upgrading" my linux installation I'm getting
> a bunch of errors.
>
> When converting images I get:
>
> pstoimg: Error: "/usr/bin/ppmquant -floyd 256 < /var/tmp/l2h31773/
> p31811.pnm | /usr/bin/pnmtopng -interlace -trans 'gray85'  >
> img1.png" failed: Bad file descriptor

Run a job with  -debug .
This will leave all the temporary files in the location where
image processing takes place.
  (e.g., in  /var/tmp/l2h31773  on the run you show here.)

Next,  cd  to that tmp/ subdirectory.

Break up the pipe into single commands:

e.g.
   /usr/bin/ppmquant -floyd 256 < /p31811.pnm  > test.pnm
   /usr/bin/pnmtopng -interlace -trans 'gray85'  < test.pnm  > test.png

Which one fails ?

> Error while converting image
>
> over and over ...
>
> I have checked to make sure I have the prerequisites ... I did not
> have perldoc (A Mandriva Powerpack 2006 install), but that is there
> now.
>
> bob$ which perldoc ppmquant pnmtopng
> /usr/bin/perldoc
> /usr/bin/ppmquant
> /usr/bin/pnmtopng
>

> Also, I've tried to run as root and get the same errors, so I'm
> pretty sure it's not a permission error.

I recently debugged a problem with  ppmquant  for Sun Solaris.
(Actually it was  pnmremap  which is called by  ppmquant .)

The problem was solved by recompiling  pnmremap  without optimization.

Perhaps you are having a similar problem under Linux.
Please report back what you find.

> I think there is a problem with pstoimg or some other part of the
> image conversion chain. Is there a command test I can do to trace
> it down?

See above.

> Thanks.

Hope this helps,