[l2h] Problem with greek letters.

Antoni Mylka antoni_mylka at poczta.onet.pl
Tue May 10 01:08:18 CEST 2005

I've been trying to make a web version of a paper. I've come upon three
problems. I've been unable to find any explanations on the internet.

1. All greek characters simply disappear from generated png images,
despite the fact that images.tex compiles flawlessly and exhibits no
problems with greek fonts. That might have something to do with the
configuration of LaTeX font system, but i'm at a loss where to start.

2. Characters with subscripts tend to be obscure those subscripts, as if
they were put in a wrong place.
http://ciapek.uci.agh.edu.pl/~mylka/Optymalizacja/doc/latex.moja/dokumentacja/main/img27.png

3. Latex2html interprets occurences of $M/M/m/FIFO/\infty$ as
$M/M/m/FIFOinfty$, obviously, the infinity sign doesn't appear in the
output it is replaced by that horrible infty. The same applies to
$M/M/m/-/m$ which gets printed as $M/M/m-/m$.

Examples may be found under
http://ciapek.uci.agh.edu.pl/~mylka/Optymalizacja/doc/latex.moja/dokumentacja/main/node4.html
(the document is in Polish, but the above mentioned problems are clearly
visible).

They were compiled from
http://ciapek.uci.agh.edu.pl/~mylka/Optymalizacja/doc/latex.moja/dokumentacja/main.tex

Latex compiles this document without any complaints (apart from some
minor underfull vboxes). The PDF (work in progress) is available from
http://ciapek.uci.agh.edu.pl/~mylka/Optymalizacja/doc/latex.moja/dokumentacja/main.pdf

The difference between the pdf and the html couldn't be more striking.

I used the following command
latex2html -antialias -antialias_text -no_math -html_version 3.2,latin2
-no_navigation -split 3 -white main.tex

I use Ubuntu Linux 5.04 Hoary.

latex2html --version
This is LaTeX2HTML Version 2002-2-1 (1.70)

perl --version
This is perl, v5.8.4 built for i386-linux-thread-multi

gs
ESP Ghostscript 7.07 (2003-07-12)
Copyright 2003 artofcode LLC and Easy Software Products, all rights
reserved.

I'd be very grateful if anyone pointed any clues as to what might be
wrong. BTW. We got exactly the same results on a friend's computer
running Mandrake 10.1.

Antoni Mylka
antoni_mylka at poczta.onet.pl