[l2h] Indic-TeX/HTML

Bob Hueckstedt rah2k at virginia.edu
Tue Dec 6 23:06:16 CET 2005

I have successfully installed LaTeX2HTML on a PC running XP and running
TeX via MikTeX. I was even able to get the manual to come out correct in
html.

The purpose for doing this was to experiment with converting Sanskrit
and Hindi texts to html. I use a very simple file for testing this. It is:

<test.dn>
\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage[hindi]{devnagri}
\begin{document}

{\dn namo nama.h|}
\end{document}
<end test.dn>

This file goes through the preprocessor routine and latex-s just fine.

Whether I run latex2html on the dn or the tex file, I get the same
response. Here is the relevant portion of the log:

<quote>
Writing image.pre file . . .
The syntax of the command is incorrect.

This is TeX, Version 3.141592 (MikTeX 2.4)
! I can't find file `.\images.tex'.
(*) ./images.tex

Please type another input file name:
<\quote>

I ran latex2html with the -debug option. That gave me two places in
latex2html.bat that seem challenged. They are line 3773:
$preprocessor_cmds .= $this_cmd."\n";

and lines 3799-3803 (particularly line 3801):
sub make_latex_images{
     &close_dbm_database if $DJGPP;
     local($dd) = $dd; $dd = '/' if ($dd eq "\\");
     local($latex_call) = "$LATEX .$dd${PREFIX}images.tex";
     print "$latex_call\n" if (($DEBUG)||($VERBOSITY > 1));
     L2hos->syswait($latex_call);
     &open_dbm_database if $DJGPP;
}

Not knowing perl, I'm good and stuck. Any help out of this would be most
appreciated.

The only thing that happened during the installation, when I ran config,
was that the netpbm I fetched had no pnmflip (it being now a perl file),
no ppmquant (same -- a perl file) and no anytopnm (also a perl file).
But I doubt any of this is relevant. But what do I know?

Bob Hueckstedt
Professor of Sanskrit
Univerity of Virginia