[l2h] Re: verbatim-like environments

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha at cs.nyu.edu
Fri Nov 12 17:32:41 CET 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Ross Moore wrote:

> Hi Igor,
>
> On 12/11/2004, at 9:42 AM, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> > For the record, I managed to fix this using
> >
> > \newenvironment{AAApreform}[1]{%
> > \begin{tabular}{|l|}\hline%
> > \begin{alltt}
> > }{\end{alltt}% This has to be on the same line as the braces
> > \hline\end{tabular}%
> > }
> > \newenvironment{BBBpreform}{%
> > \begin{AAApreform}{\color[rgb]{1.0,0.0,0.0}}{\end{AAApreform}%
> > }
> >
> > And adding the following
> >
> > $alltt_rx = 'AAApreform|BBBpreform';
> > 1;
>
> Yes, this will make the environment behave like an  alltt  environment,
> and respect spaces, etc.
> However, macros will be expanded as \ remains with its escape-char
> interpretation.

Yup, that's exactly what I wanted.  As outlined in the original message
below, I needed an environment that preserved spaces but honored control
macros.

> Also, it really ought to be:
>
>     $alltt_rx .= '|AAApreform|BBBpreform';
>
> or (just to be safe):
>
>    $alltt_rx = ($alltt_rx ? $alltt_rx.'\' : '' ) . 'AAApreform|BBBpreform';

Ah.  Yes, that makes sense, thanks.  My approach worked for me since no
latex2html packages installed on my system used $alltt_rx except
alltt.perl.

> If you want it to be a real 'verbatim-like' environment, for
> program-listings where '\' has a different meaning, then there's a lot
> more work to do.

Yes, but if I wanted a real verbatim environment, I could have just used
\begin{verbatim}...\end{verbatim}.  :-)

> There should be a recent message from me on this list about this,
> and the need to catch the environment by hacking the  texexpand  script.

Well, I did search the list before posting, fruitlessly, so if you have a
direct pointer to the message, that'd be helpful.

> > to .latex2html-init.
> >
> > Hope this helps someone.
> > 	Igor
>
> And this too.
> Cheers
> 	Ross Moore

Thanks for the reply and the advice.
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs.nyu.edu
ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_		igor at watson.ibm.com

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT