[l2h] Looking for section/navigation info

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Feb 12 09:40:29 CET 2004

Hello Rhonda,

On 12/02/2004, at 6:34 PM, Rhonda Hyslop wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a document that is currently in LaTeX format and I've been using
> latex2html very successfully on it, but I would like to change its
> presentation on the web pages somewhat, especially the navigation.
>
> I've been searching google and the latex2html code all day at this
> point
> and while I have a better idea of how latex2html is put together than I
> did this morning, I'm no closer to making the navigation system I want.
>
> I have found numerous copies of the latex2html documentation, and have
> read the section on customizing the navigation, but what is described
> there is not what I want to do. Basically, I want to have a list of all
> the top-level sections as part of the navigation instead of just the

Have you seen the online `frames' version of the documentation
at  http://www-texdev.ics.mq.edu.au/l2h/docs/manual/
  --  click on the "Contents" button.

Other examples of the use of frames with latex2html are at:
     http://www.iciam.org/    and    http://www.iciam.org/2003/ .

Ar these close to the kind of navigation that you have in mind ?

For these documents you can download the source documents, Makefile
  and init-files, from the obvious directory.

> built-in pointers to next/previous/up/contents/index pages - the
> problem
> is, I haven't been able to figure out which variable stores all of the
> sections, and which variable stores the section the navigation menu is
> being generated for, and whether they're available in a useful form in
> .latex2html-init

> I've been playing with the top_navigation_panel subroutine in
> .latex2html-init and having it print the contents of various variables
> that seem like likely candidates, but without much luck so far.
> @curr_sec_id for example, seems from its name to hold the id array of
> the section currently being processed, but when printed in the
> navigation panel code on any page, it is always set to the value of the
> last top-level section +1.

LaTeX2HTML does not build complete pages sequentially, as happens
with other TeX/LaTeX applications (which generally require 2 or 3 runs,
before the navigation and cross-referencing are correct).

Since LaTeX2HTML requires just a single run, it is clear that it must
revisit all the pages to add navigation, after the bulk of the document
processing has been done.

So it is not sufficient to just find the right Perl variable(s), but
you also
need to look at it/them at the correct time within the processing.

In particular, all of the sectioning links are added to all the HTML
pages, as one of the last tasks of all to be performed.
It would be very hard to insert extra coding to show the appropriate
values. this certainly cannot be done in the LaTeX coding,
but would ned to be done within the Perl scripts.