[l2h] cannot find file in \input

Ger van Diepen diepen@astron.nl
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 07:57:20 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

I have the problem that latex2html (in fact, texexpand) cannot find
a file specified in a \input line.
I use latex2html version 99.2beta8 (1.43) on a SUSE 7.3 Linux system.

I have a latex file basically looking like:

\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage{html}
\begin{document}
\input{taql.tex}
\end{document}

The problem is that taql.tex is not in the working directory, but one
below (in subdirectory 199.dir).
Latex2e can easily find the file because ./199.dir is mentioned
in the TEXINPUTS env.variable.

But latex2html gives the error:

 texexpand: include taql.tex failed. Reinserting  command

after which pstoimg gives the error:

 pstoimg: Error: "/usr/bin/pnmcrop < /tmp/l2h655/p671.pnm |
/usr/bin/ppmquant -floyd 256 | /usr/bin/pnmtopng -interlace -trans
'#ffffff'  > img1.png" failed: Illegal seek

The option -debug learned me that texexpand does not take TEXINPUTS
into account, but seems to use a more or less predefined path.

Now is my question:

Can I tell latex2html to look into 199.dir to find taql.tex or do
I need to change the \input line into \input{199.dir/taql.tex} ?
The latter would be tedious, because there are many more such files.

Another question is why latex2html does not take TEXINPUTS into account
anymore. It used to do it.

Thanks,
Ger van Diepen