[l2h] problems after installing latex2html

Steve Mayer Steve Mayer" <mayer@dial.pipex.com
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 11:58:36 +0100

M Khalid Khan wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to install latex2html on my laptop which runs on
> windows98. I am already using MikTeX2.1
>
> After unzipping files in C:\windows\temp\latex2html, I made necessary
> changes and run test.bat which converted testfile l2htest.tex
> correcty.
>
> After this I run install.bat which has installed latex2html in my
> C:\progra~1\MikTeX\L2H
>
> Now, when I run latex2html on the same test file it produces following
> error--
>
> C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\latex2html\tests>latex2html l2htest.tex
> Error (home): Cannot expand other user's home directory
> at C:\PROGRA~1\MIKTEX\L2H\BIN/latex2html.bat line 227
>
> what may have gone wrong?
> Any help will be appriciated.
>
> Khalid

This problem was reported in
http://tug.org/pipermail/latex2html/2000-December/000934.html and the
solution (which appears to be missing from the archives) was :

"... although the problem wasn't with the spaces (the full path was
c:\programme\localtexmf\latex2html) but with the number of the letters:
As soon as I installed LaTeX2HTML into c:\l2h everything worked fine."

As a general rule I would install TeX related programs in directories
with short file names. Some of these programs may be confused by the ~
in file names that results from using long file names or names with
spaces in them.

Steve Mayer