[l2h] Problems with external links

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 03:15:23 +1000 (EST)

> Hi,
>
> in my tex-files I used \href for referencing external sites. Because
> latex2html doesn't recognize \href I included \htmladdnormallink in a
> \begin{htmlonly} ... \end{htmlonly} section in my document. This works

Rather than do this for every link, you could use a conditional
definition in the document preamble:

\begin{htmlonly}
 \newcommand{\href}[2]{\htmladdnormallink{#2}{#1}}
\end{htmlonly}

> fine, but is would be nicer if external sites were opened in a new
> window. So I need a href with the target TARGET="_blank", but latex2html
> only produces TARGET="_TOP" automatically.

This may be possible by setting the $target variable on the fly,
within the LaTeX document:

\htmlset{target}{_blank}
 \externallink....
\htmlset{target}{}

Try this with small documents first, as it may upset other
targets (e.g. for getting cross-references and citations
correct within the frames of a complicated document).

There may be other possibilities to get what you want.
I'd need to look at source code to check on those.

> Is there a variable for changing the target or do I have to edit

Yes, $target does this.
But it can be tricky to get it right within frames, since this is
what is used internally for links within the document itself.

> frames.perl? I'm not very experienced with perl, so please give me a
> hint if I have have to edit a perl script.

Not yet.
Try some other ideas first.