[l2h] Install l2h on XP

Steve Mayer Steve Mayer" <mayer@dial.pipex.com
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:18:22 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Young" <peacedan@yahoo.com>
To: <latex2html@tug.org>
Sent: 12 August 2002 22:58
Subject: [l2h] Install l2h on XP

> Hi,
>
> I tried to install LaTeX2HTML on Windows XP.
>
> After I did what I could do, I could only get html
> files within the directory of installed latex2html;
> when I ran latex2html in other directories, I only got
> a directory with an empty subdirectory TMP and nothing
> else. Even for those html files, some texts cannot be
> properly displayed and some tags like <#460#> appear.
> Below is how I installed the LaTeX2HTML.
>
> I downloaded latex2html-2002-1.tar.gz from CTAN and
> unzip it to C:\Download\latex2html-2002-1. Because I
> feel the README and INSTALL are a little bit hard to
> follow and I am using MiK-TeX, I used the instructions
> on http://www.mayer.dial.pipex.com/l2h.htm.
>
> I believe I exactly followed the instructions and
> change the $path environment variable, except changing
> the some paths according to my original setting of
> MiK-TeX. The problem is when I tried the test.bat,
> there is no pstoimg.bat to check. I put the results of
> configuration below:
>
> Starting Configuration...
>
> config.pl, Release 2002-1 (Revision 1.46)
> Accompanies LaTeX2HTML, (C) 1999 GNU Public License.
>
> checking for old config file (cfgcache.pm)... not
> found (ok)
> checking for platform... MSWin32 (Windows 32 bit)
> checking for c:\Perl\bin\perl.exe...
> c:\Perl\bin\perl.exe
> checking perl version... 5.006001
> checking if perl supports some dbm... yes
> checking if perl globbing works... yes
> checking for tex... C:\Program
> Files\texmf\miktex\bin\tex.exe
> checking for latex... C:\Program
> Files\texmf\miktex\bin\latex.exe
> checking for initex... C:\Program
> Files\texmf\miktex\bin\initex.exe
> checking for kpsewhich... C:\Program
> Files\texmf\miktex\bin\kpsewhich.exe
> checking for kpsewhich syntax... no, from which planet
> is your kpsewhich?
> checking for TeX include path... NONE
> Warning: Will not automatically install LaTeX2HTML
> style files.
> checking for dvips... C:\Program
> Files\texmf\miktex\bin\dvips.exe
> checking dvips version... no
> Error: could not determine dvips version
> Warning: Will not be able to generate images due to
> above failure.
> checking for html4-check... no
> checking for gswin32c... c:\program
> files\ghostgum\gs\gs7.03\bin\gswin32c.exe
> Error: could not execute c:\program
> files\ghostgum\gs\gs7.03\bin\gswin32c.exe
> Warning: Will not be able to generate images due to
> above failure.
> checking for pnmflip... \Program
> Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\pnmflip.exe
> checking for ppmquant... \Program
> Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\ppmquant.exe
> checking for pnmfile... \Program
> Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\pnmfile.exe
> checking for pnmcat... \Program
> Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\pnmcat.exe
> checking for pbmmake... \Program
> Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\pbmmake.exe
> checking for ppmtogif... \Program
> [...]

Looking at your config.log it is clear that the configuration program
can't find anything that resides in C:\Program Files. So you have 2

1. Try an older version of Perl as suggested by Ulrich Diez and
mentioned in my earlier message
http://tug.org/pipermail/latex2html/2002-August/001979.html where it may
be possible to use long path names

and/or

2. Reinstall Miktex, Ghostscript and all the other programs in
directories with short file names (eg c:\texmf, c:\gs etc) and tell the
config program you want Latex2html in eg c:\l2h. Ensure that you have
completely uninstalled all the programs (including Latex2html
installation) so that there is no possibility of programs being found in
the old paths.

I hope this will work. I will be particularly interested if option 1
works with long file names.

Steve Mayer