[l2h] User-written latex class files with latex2html

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:45:02 -0400

William T. Martin writes:
 > \usepackage{html,htmllist,color,makeidx,epsfig,orieweb}
 >
 > It loads perl versions of these packages, but orieweb is not written in
 > perl:
 > What do I need to do to get this to work?

There are two approaches.  The simplest is to change the way you
reference the package.  If you use

\usepackage{html,htmllist,color,makeidx,epsfig}
\input{orieweb.sty}

LaTeX2HTML will load orieweb.sty and attempt to process it.  You may
have to muck around with \makeatletter and \makeatother though.

My solution for the Python documentation was to supply Perl support
for both my additional packages and the document classes I define.
This works well, and let's the LaTeX documents use the conventional
LaTeX way of doing things.  It probably makes more sense if there are
going to be several documents using the package.

The painful part, of course, is that using this approach means that
you need to write Perl code to support all of the markup constructs
defined in the package it's emulating, and that can be painful at
times.  If there's a lot of semantic processing that can happen at
document-formatting time, it can be a real boon.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation