[l2h] Don't check image type if -noimage

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 08:40:14 +1000 (EST)

> Howdy!
>
> I'm using l2h on a workstation which doesn't have graphics conversion
> utilities (and on which I don't have root access), so I've decided to
> do all my image handling with "\htmladdimg" (and to avoid using math
> mode).  In theory, I'd then be able to get what I want by using the
> "-noimages" option.
>
> Sadly, l2h still complains about not having a valid image type:
>
> Error: No such image type ''.
>        This installation supports (first is default):
>

> This is obviously happening because of the following bit of code:
>
> --- begin fragment ---
> unless(grep(/^\Q$IMAGE_TYPE\E$/o, @IMAGE_TYPES)) {
>     die <<"EOF";
> Error: No such image type '$IMAGE_TYPE'.
>        This installation supports (first is default): @IMAGE_TYPES
> EOF
> }
> --- end fragment ---

OK; this test can be skipped when -noimages is given,
either on the command-line, or via a variable in an intialisation file.

> I only know approximately (1.5 * jack) about Perl, but I did manage
> to figure out that I'd get it to work if I surround this with some
> simple conditional code:
>
> --- begin fragment ---
> if ($opt{images}) {
>     unless(grep(/^\Q$IMAGE_TYPE\E$/o, @IMAGE_TYPES)) {
>         die <<"EOF";
> Error: No such image type '$IMAGE_TYPE'.
>        This installation supports (first is default): @IMAGE_TYPES
> EOF
>     }
> }
> --- end fragment ---

That's fine, when you give -noimages ,
but it may also skip the (perhaps useful) test when no image-related
option is given. That's not correct.

> I suggest that this be included in future versions.  I generated
> a diff file, but I've never done this sort of thing before, so I
> probably screwed it up somehow:

The diff is fine --- though I probably won't use it; since it's not
correct according to the above comments.
However it shows a way of achieving what you want, and the clear
description of the problem clears up any possible misrepresentation
of your intention.

I'll take a closer look at it.

> --- begin diff ---
> 397,398c397,399