[l2h] pnmcrop 9.15 doesn't crop

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:29:16 +1000 (EST)

> Hi!
>
> I just downloaded netbpm 9.15 and had to realize that its
>
> "pnmcrop"
>
> doesn't crop. It leaves ugly black bars at the left and bottom of the
> graphics, destroying also vertical alignment.

You have to reinstall LaTeX2HTML for the new software.

In fact, it's just the pstoimg part that needs to be reinstalled
(assuming that you have the latest version of it, and the
installation scripts).

To get the required behaviour from  pnmcrop  (same as what you get
with the 8.** versions),  most instances need to use the new switch:

  pnmcrop -sides ......

while one needs to be   pnmcrop -verbose -sides ....

> My ancient 8.4 - Version performed better, after I deleated the
> unsupported "-verbose" flag in the "pstoimg" script. However, background
> colors of text and graphics are different (found the problem already
> somewhere, but forgot where ;-) and line-spacing is not satisfying at
> the moment (The problem lies in some graphics being not cropped
> sufficiently)

Yes; all of these differences are known.
The installation procedure sets up the correct switches for versions 9.*
of pnmcrop (but does do it right for 8.*s).

> Finally inline-math appears a little bit deminuished, but that's
> acceptable.
>
> The online manual, which was also produced by LaTeX2HTML, looks much
> better - How does one do?

Scalable Type1 fonts and anti-aliasing in Ghostscript makes a huge
difference to appearance.