[l2h] date format for each language

Shigeharu TAKENO shige@iee.niit.ac.jp
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:35:58 +0900 (JST)

I am using latex2html-2K.1beta and helping to make a "Japanized
patch" of it (including "japanese.perl").

Each WWW page made by late2html has "date" at the bottom, when
the page is made. The default date format is as "2000-07-16",
which is given the function &get_date() (in &address_data()).

Local date format for each language is supported as the function
&'language'_today() in the 'language'.perl script, but it seems
to be unused.

To use this, I changed the last line of &address_data() as
following:

    ($user, &get_date($format,$order));
==> ($user, &do_cmd_today());

This seems to work well except a problem.

In the user side, changing the 'language' of the WWW page should
be done in ~/.latex2html-init, or by latex2html command line
option, I think. In the current version of latex2html, we may
use the first one, that is, we may write in ~/.latex2html-init as
following:

  #$default_language = 'english';
  $default_language = 'japanese';
  #$TITLES_LANGUAGE = 'english';
  $TITLES_LANGUAGE = 'japanese';

However, when &do_cmd_today() is used, these variables keep the
default values which are defined in l2hconf.pm, so, we can not
change the 'language' of the date string by the setting above
in the user side.

I think this is similar problem to one which I posted last month
as "Subject: [l2h] To choose icon image format", that is, it does
not seem that we can change several features by command line
option or by ~/.latex2html-init file completely, and several
variables are already used before setting by user unfortunately.

To fix it, I only know the (dirty) way to make two latex2html
for English and for Japanese which use different l2hconf.pm.
This can be also applied to the problem "To choose icon image
format", but it is not smart.

Please tell me the simple way to fix them.

 Shigeharu TAKENO     NIigata Institute of Technology
                       kashiwazaki,Niigata 945-1195 JAPAN
 shige@iee.niit.ac.jp   TEL(&FAX): +81-257-22-8161