[l2h] Suggesting SVG-format for expression images

Ian MacPhedran Ian MacPhedran <Ian_MacPhedran@young.usask.ca>
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 19:09:03 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Ross Moore wrote:

> To implement it, we need availability of tools to both read and write
> the format.
>
> Does Netpbm have a  pnmtosvg  tool ?

Converting bitmaps directly to SVG would likely not be advantageous - the
original author had suggested that SVG's strong point is scalability, so a
raster to vector tool like autotrace
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/autotrace/)  might be of use. You could
also move a step back and use pstoedit (a "shareware" plugin for SVG
output is available for pstoedit) to render directly from the PostScript
version.

> > Web-browser plug-ins is presently available for Windows and MacOS.
> > Unfortunately not for *nix:
>
> Hmm; that's definitely a drawback.
> It cuts down the audience for your web-pages.
> Hopefully it's just a temporary thing for the major browsers.

There is a Java interpretor available via the Apache people, which runs
outside a browser. (I haven't used this. I have used Amaya to view SVG,
but it is not satisfactory as a browser.)

Ian.
PS Personally, I would be reluctant to recommend SVG at this time,
however, I have to admit that I have effectively no experience with it, so
you'll have to take my comments with a large grain of salt.
Ian MacPhedran,    Engineering Computer Centre,   2B13 Engineering Building,
University of Saskatchewan,  57 Campus Drive,  Saskatoon SK  S7N 5A9, CANADA
Phone: (306)966-4832 Fax: (306)966-5205  Email: Ian_MacPhedran@engr.USask.CA