[l2h] small bug

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 20:14:03 +1000 (EST)

> EHLO!
>
> I discovered a small problem in pstoimg. It calls `pnmcrop -verbose',
> but my pnmcrop does not recognize this parameter and exits. It may be

OK; then you can remove it safely in the  cfgcache.pm
or in  pstoimg  after installation.

> caused by my version of netpbm, but I guess that it's a good idea to
> leave this `verbose' option in releases--at least for compatibility
> reasons. (I guess this option doesn't do anything important? ;)

In fact it *does* do something important, but only in versions 9.x
(with x > ???  I'm not sure which version first needs it.)

At some point,  pnmcrop  stopped producing messages saying how many
rows and columns had been cropped. The point of  -verbose  is to get
those messages back. Any version that produces the messages anyway
clearly doesn't need the  -verbose  option.

These messages are extremely useful when debugging why some images
may not have been made correctly.

Also the message is needed for "shaving" a row or two from the bottom
of images being prepared for inline mathematics or other special
characters, since it tells whether a shave has been successful or not.
Without the shaving, some images would sit too high above the baseline
of the surrounding text.

> PS: pnmcrop: Version: Netpbm 8.4 April 2000,
> latex2html-2K.1beta

Would you please send me the output message produced when you
issue the command:

	pnmcrop -verbose  imagefile.pnm

for some image  (named  imagefile.pnm  say).
Then we may be able to build a test that will configure automatically for
versions that do not need the  -verbose .

Does Netpbm 8.4  crop correctly in all other respects ?
If not, then the best advice is to upgrade to a later version.
I believe that 9.15  is the most recent.