[l2h] I believe this must be a latex2html 99.2(or 3) bug

Paul E Johnson pauljohn@ukans.edu
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:44:07 -0600

My system is:
$ uname -a
Linux valinux.pols.ukans.edu 2.2.16-22smp #1 SMP Tue Aug 22 16:39:21 EDT
2000 i686 unknown(RedHat 7.0)

$ latex2html --version
This is LaTeX2HTML Version 99.2beta8 (1.42)
by Nikos Drakos, Computer Based Learning Unit, University of Leeds.

I have a TeX document that latex2html cannot process, apparently because
it has this bit in the preamble:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Textclass specific LaTeX commands.
 \newenvironment{HangIndent}
  {\list{}{%
    \setlength\leftmargin{1.5cm}%  leftmargin
    \itemindent-\leftmargin}\item{}}
  {\endlist}
 \newcommand\myHangIndent[1]{
     \begin{HangIndent} #1
     \end{HangIndent}
     }

If that bit is in the preamble, then the processing of math breaks, and
equations get written to image files with format "hatb" instead of a hat
over a b.
I have the document in this directory:
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/ps707/multReg1
The file is "multRegNotes1.tex"
I also have the lyx file from which it was exported and the 2 eps
figures are in the same directory.

If I leave in the hangindent TeX above, the equations are ugly, and I've
put just one example of an ugly one in that directory too:
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/ps707/multReg1/img16.png

If I delete the HangIndent from the Tex preamble and remove its one
usage, then latex2html is able to process the file without trouble.

I get this same result with latex2html 99.2 or 99.3, but one other user
in the lyx user group showed me his version 96 worked fine on Solaris.

If you can tell me what I did wrong, I'd appreciate it.
--
Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn@ukans.edu