[l2h] kpsewhich check doesn't match mine

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 09:52:03 +1100 (EST)

> LaTeX2HTML config.pl runs kpsewhich as follows: kpsewhich -show-path=tex
>
> But this doesn't work, at least not for my kpsewhich.  I want:
> kpsewhich -show-path=.tex  (need that dot in ".tex")

Hmm.  I get the same result with both 'tex' and '.tex'.
This was tested on 'sparc-solaris2.5.1' and 'alphaev56-dec-osf4.0e'.

I've no idea why yours is different.
Perhaps there is an error in the   texmf.cnf  file ?

On one of my systems, this file is:
	/usr/local/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

and the relevant lines are:

% Plain TeX.  Have the command tex check all directories as a last
% resort, we may have plain-compatible stuff anywhere.
TEXINPUTS.tex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{plain,generic,}//
% other plain-based formats
TEXINPUTS.amstex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{amstex,plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.ftex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{formate,plain,generic,}//

> Oddly, kpsewhich does not consider it an error that its only argument
> is failing, and it exits successfully.

It should give a warning such as:

landau.mpce.mq.edu.au> kpsewhich -show-path=te
warning: kpsewhich: Ignoring unknown file type `te'.

>  ...   So my latex2html configure
> script runs to the end, only slightly wrong.

LaTeX2HTML doesn't actually *need* these paths.

It works fine without, since it normally does not require
system packages from LaTeX, except during image generation;
but then LaTeX finds them itself.

The only reason to use kpsewhich with LaTeX2HTML would be
if you have home-grown package-like files of macro definitions
stored within your texmf/ trees. These files would need to be
suitable for use with both LaTeX *and* LaTeX2HTML (e.g. by having
conditional-code segments where the macro expansions differ).

> I have LaTeX2HTML release 2K.1beta and kpathsea version 3.1.

Hmm; and I thought this was old:    :-)

landau.mpce.mq.edu.au> kpsewhich -v
kpathsea version 3.3
Copyright (C) 1997 K. Berry.