[l2h] image conversion problems?

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 07:43:55 +1000 (EST)

> I am trying to use latex2html, but something seems to go wrong at
> last step of the image conversion.

The output that you posted indicates that you are using old versions
of the LaTeX2HTML software, and perhaps also of the Netpbm graphics
utilities.

Updated versions are available from:
   www.latex2html.org
   www.sourceforge.org/projects/netpbm/

> The documentation had "documentstyle" not "documentclass",
> so I changed it so that there wouldn't be extraneous error
> messages.  (Should the documentation suggest "documentclass"?)

Yes; that is an inconsequential difference.
LaTeX2HTML treats them identically; although LaTeX need not.

> I also tried the "do it manually" as suggested in the troubleshooting
> section.  Is it possible that the suggestions there are outdated?
> It talks about Ghostscript version 3 vs Ghostscript version 2.x,
> and the one on my computer is version 5.  The commands I tried
> to use seemed to not exist.  The complete run at the end of this message.

Since last week, the latest version of Ghostscript is now v 7.00
However, any version from 4.10 onwards is adequate for LaTeX2HTML.

> Also, I checked images.tex in the created directory.  It looked fine,
> latex ran on it with no problem, and the result looked like
> I expected.

> Also, I looked in /tmp and there weren't any files or directories
> with names similar to what latex2html claimed it was creating.

Yes; because by default it cleans up after itself.
Use the  -debug  command-line switch to override this cleanup,
and to see more informative messages about each step taken
in the conversion process.

> Thank for any help or pointers you can give me.
>
> David Farmer
> farmer@bucknell.edu
>
> --------- output when I run latex2html
>
> pollux{125}% latex2html mytest
> This is LaTeX2HTML Version 99.2beta8 (1.42)

The latest version is   2K.1beta  (I think).

>  *** processing 1 images ***
>
> Generating postscript images using dvips ...
> This is dvips(k) 5.78 Copyright 1998 Radical Eye Software
> (www.radicaleye.com)
> ' TeX output 2001.04.15:1549' -> /tmp/l2h2860/image
> (-> /tmp/l2h2860/image001) <texc.pro><texps.pro><special.pro><color.pro>
> <cmr10.pfb>[1]
> Converting image #1
> pstoimg: Error: "/usr/local/bin/pnmcrop < /tmp/l2h2860/p2877.pnm |
> /usr/local/bi
> n/pnmcrop -bot | /usr/local/bin/pnmcrop -l | /usr/local/bin/ppmtogif
> -interlace
> -trans '#ffffff'  > img1.gif" failed:

There are 5 possible places where this could have failed.
You would need to use -debug  to get a better idea of what happened.

> pollux{170}%
> pollux{170}% gs -dNODISPLAY pstoppm.ps
> GNU Ghostscript 5.10 (1998-12-17)
> Copyright (C) 1997 Aladdin Enterprises, Menlo Park, CA.  All rights
> reserved.
> This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file COPYING for details.
> Error: /undefinedfilename in (pstoppm.ps)

Ouch; we stopped using  pstoppm.ps  long ago.

> Execution stack:
>    %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
> --nostringval-
> -   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   2   3   %oparray_pop
> --nostringval--
>    --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   --nostringval--
> --nostringval
> --   5   3   %oparray_pop
> Dictionary stack:
>    --dict:770/809--   --dict:0/20--   --dict:43/200--
> Current allocation mode is local
> Last OS error: 2
> GS>(mytest) ppm1run
> Error: /undefined in ppm1run

 ... and this too.  ppm1run  is no longer used.
Instead Ghostscript "devices" are used to create the correct output format.

Since  mytest.ppm  either does not exist or is empty,
all subsequent graphics operations will fail also...

> pollux{171}% pnmcrop mytest.ppm>mytest.crop.ppm
> ld.so.1: pnmcrop: fatal: libpnm.so.1: open failed: No such file or
> directory
> Killed
> pollux{172}%
> pollux{172}% ppmtogif mytest.crop.ppm > mytest.gif
> ld.so.1: ppmtogif: fatal: libppm.so.1: open failed: No such file or
> directory
> Killed

It looks like your old version of LaTeX2HTML has failed because
the newish (v5+) version of Ghostscript no longer provides the
resources that it did back in 1998. It has advanced to newer/better
methods. The installation script for LaTeX2HTML back in 1998 did not
know about these better methods. However, later versions do know
about them. So you need to update to obtain a consistent set of
software tools.

So please update and try again.