[l2h] ngerman and HTML 4.01 support

Ross Moore Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au>
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 20:21:29 +1100 (EST)

> Hello,
>
> the latest l2h does an incredibly good job converting well-formed LaTeX
> to valid HTML documents. Thanks, Ross.

Thanks; I think that validity is a worthwhile feature;
especially if you are going to be using CSS a lot.

Actually, it's possible to make invalid documents using LaTeX2HTML,
but you have to be trying to do so, more or less.  :-)

You may be interested in looking at  www.freedevelopers.net .
Note in particular the attributions on those pages.

> Of course there's always room for enhancements. Here are my issues:
> 1. Lots of well-formed (german) docs use the "ngerman" style today.

Is there much difference to Babel's  german.ldf ?

If not, just copy or link german.perl so that it is also
accessible as  ngerman.perl .
That should work reasonably as a stop-gap until a proper ngerman.perl
can be constructed, accounting for the differences.

> 2. As for the output, HTML 4.01 is the latest W3C recommendation
>    for "classic HTML" (http://www.w3.org/TR/html4).

> Both issues don't seem to be addressed in l2h 99.2b8 (1.43) yet.

I already have written  versions/html4_01.pl
It's at the developer's archive now; at least when using CVS.
Thanks for reminder to put it there.  :-)

Please report any errors that you may notice.

> As it shouldn't be too much work (given the availability of
> styles/german.perl and versions/html4_0.pl) I'm asking if someone
> has already implemented this before.
>
> If not, I'd be happy to contribute ideas.

Teaching finishes next week, so I'll have more time
to incorporate any additions to LaTeX2HTML.