[l2h] Re: Is latex2html supported?

Robin Fairbairns Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Mon, 03 Jan 2000 15:16:37 +0000

marek rouchal writes:

> the answer is simple: Yes, it is!

that it's supported isn't in doubt (to me): the problem is that this
support is invisible other than to those who follow the latex2html
list.  i most certainly wouldn't have known about the bayreuth site if
i weren't on that list.

> There's a brand new version just about to be released.

is this another beta that won't make it anywhere other than the
bayreuth site?  because if so, it's not going to do much to change the
perception of the rest of the world ... the latest `production'
release the world can see is 98.1p1 of 4 mar 1998; a new beta
appearing 22 months later isn't exactly evidence of progress.

> Here are a few suggestions on how to change the links on
> CTAN:
>
> Home site: http://saftsack.fs.uni-bayreuth.de/~latex2ht
>
> Current versions: http://saftsack.fs.uni-bayreuth.de/~latex2ht/current/
>
> Documentation: http://www-texdev.mpce.mq.edu.au/l2h/docs/manual/

ctan does not hold `links'.  ctan is a repository of files.  if those
files themselves contain links, fine: andin the case of latex2html,
what the files on ctan contain is entirely in the hands those who
support latex2html.

> I'll investigate ways how to make ftp access to these documents possible.

submitting each new version, by ftp, to ctan for installation isn't
going to cost a lot of effort, at the present apparent rate of
progress.

robin