[l2h] (from c.t.t) "Is latex2html supported?"

Robin Fairbairns Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Sat, 01 Jan 2000 23:15:24 +0000

just an observation: this thread appeared on comp.text.tex, and
attracted the following response from one Donovan Rebbechi:

  On Thu, 30 Dec 1999 09:25:12 -0500, Drew McDermott wrote:
  >Is anyone supporting latex2html?  Is there an "official" web site?

  This webpage:

  http://ctan.tug.org/tex-archive/support/latex2html/

  includes all the information. Since it hasn't changed for almost
  two years, it's probably unmaintained. My suggestion is to dump
  it because

  (a) it looks like a dead horse
  (b) there are other tools that are as good or better.

  There are some alternatives you may want to consider.

(he then goes on to suggest pdflatex, docbook authoring, and use of
tex4ht -- this is in news article <slrn86ntrk.jh2.elflord@panix2.panix.com>)

i guess my point is that you guys aren't getting your message out
terribly well.  most people go to ctan to look for the latest version
of software, and since you never change the site i mirror into ctan,
no-one who's not involved in the development ever sees any development
that gets done.

i _know_ work is being done, but since i don't have many latex2html
users myself, i don't follow developments terribly carefully.  so i'm
not the person to evangelise for latex2html ... but i am at least in a
position to point out problems to others.

btw, my mirroring is

Package=support/latex2html
|=site=www-dsed.llnl.gov
|=remote_dir=/files/programs/unix/latex2html

do let me know if i have it wrong...

Robin Fairbairns

For the CTAN team