[l2h] ALT tags in equations

Bruce R Miller Bruce R Miller" <miller@cam.nist.gov
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 10:56:08 -0400

On Apr 9,  9:35am, Ross MOORE wrote:
> In any case, the real cause of the problem with the pop-up ALT-text
> is a browser-specific thing. It should be able to be switched-off
> within the browser.

I have to agree with Ross here; in fact, it's arguably a browser Bug!

While it certainly can be useful to specify or alter the ALT text that is
attached to images generated by l2h, the ALT attribute of HTML was _never_
intended to be a `tool tip'!

It seemed Cool the first time I saw them popping up.  But then I thought about
how to write ALT text that served BOTH the original purpose of ALTernative text
to be used in place of an image, AND worked as a tool-tip... Ugh!

bruce.miller@nist.gov
http://math.nist.gov/~BMiller/