[kadingira] Babel, LuaLaTeX and legacy documents with 8-bit font encodings

Javier Bezos jbezosl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 17:03:16 CEST 2017

Sergei,

 > I can replace it by luainputenc, which works fine with pdflatex as well,
 > so this change isn't too disruptive for me.

Neither for me.

 > 2) Use language.dat which is a config file with the loader file names
 > (approach currently employed in Babel).
 >
 > Both ways don't let the luatex engine load the patterns in different
 > encodings. So some changes in the hyph-utf8 package are required
 > to make that possible. I can think of the following:

Babel currently supports multiple encodings in language.dat, eg:

english		hyphen.tex  % do not change!
=usenglish
=USenglish
=american
nohyphenation	zerohyph.tex
russian         hyph-ru.tex
russian:T2A     hyph-ru.t2a.tex

Babel selects the variant with the suffix T2A if this encoding
is set by the language in \extrasrussian. Works for me (al least,
hyphenation points look right ;-)).

Javier