[Indic-dev] Indic scripts and English in LaTeX: What is the way ahead?

CV Radhakrishnan cvr at river-valley.org
Wed Oct 4 08:15:42 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 13:09 +0000, Duvvuri Venu Gopal wrote:
> Respected Radhakrishnan ji
>
> Please find two pdf documents created by me and give your opinion.
>
> In August 1st week I conducted a LaTeX course at Pune in which 70
> MTech students attended.

I do respect the features available in Omega and also your commendable
efforts to propagate Omega among the user community.  However, given an
opportunity, I would not hesitate to deploy XeTeX owing to the ease of
usage.  One need not worry about the hassles of otp's and ocp's. XeTeX
accepts all the system fonts in a straight forward manner, also, it
provides the facilities to use myriad features specific to open type
fonts in a straight forward manner in a TeX document.

I do not forget that all the opentype font features are available in Mac
OS X version of XeTeX only.  Although, OS X is not my regular operating
platform, I have seen its functionality and it is simply amazing.
Jonathan Kew has already released a GNU/Linux version of XeTeX which
will eventually support all features as its OS X variant.

Best regards

Radhakrishnan