[Indic-dev] Project updates.

yoga at math.iisc.ernet.in yoga at math.iisc.ernet.in
Mon Mar 24 12:22:40 CET 2003

> 1) TOAST				2) Tutorial revision
> 3) TeXing in Indian languages
>
> Developer are requested to update list members about their efforts.

We are working on the KannadaTeX project but are also looking at
accommodating all Indian languages. TUGIndia is funding the project. We
have sorted out most of the TeX related isssues for which we used
available ttf fonts. We are now developing one set of metafonts for
kannada. One of the main problems for working on Indian languages is the
input method - no good editors to deal with them. Interestingly, this
problem has been addressed on the MS platform and many commercial packages
are available where you can key in directly in any of the Indian
languages. For kannada and devanagari there is a free software, Baraha,
available which works very nicely. We have almost completed writing the
required TeX interface to Baraha and hopefully it should be available for
use by the middle of April.

I would invite comments / sugestions on the input method.

C S Yogananda
MO-Cell (NBHM, DAE)
Dept. of Mathematics
Indian Institute of Science