[Indic-dev] Bold & Italic versions of Velthuis font

Alex A.J. alexaj at myrealbox.com
Thu Apr 24 16:49:49 CEST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: S. venkataraman <svenkat at ignou.ac.in>
Subject: RE: [Indic-dev] Bold & Italic versions of Velthuis font

> Exactly.  The idea is to create a virtual font that remaps the
> characters.  For example, the package mathptm uses virtual fonts.
> This is supposed to be a sort of poor man's mathtime. The maths
> characters
> look good when combined with the times roman font. The package uses
> characters from two or three actual fonts.  This was created using
> fontinst.

Virtual fonts is indeed an elegant solution to the problem.
But using fontinst for indic languages can be a pain
in the neck (at least it was for me). Some of my early experiments
with fontinst went horribly wrong. Also I'm not an expert
on vf creation.

> Instead of getting into that, I thought we can think of a way to use
> the existing fonts.

I have a backup of the akruti fonts somewhere on my system.
I'll generate the type1 versions as time permits ( may take
at least a week).

Cheers
Alex.