[Indic-dev] Updates

Radhakrishnan CV indic-dev@tug.org
30 Oct 2002 16:54:57 +0530

>>>>> "yoga" == yoga  <yoga@math.iisc.ernet.in> writes:

    yoga> the last time we contacted him he had said around 25K for
    yoga> the artwork of each font and he would be involved till they
    yoga> were put into metafont. i will speak to him now and find out
    yoga> what he would charge. (i like this artist because he was
    yoga> involved in font designing and knows lot about them; in fact
    yoga> he gave me a document prepared for a conference on elctronic
    yoga> typesetting of south indian languages held in 1983!)

Don't waste time, draft a project proposal and push it to the TeX
Development Fund of TeX Users Group.  I am sure, you will get the
funding for the project.

[...]

    yoga> we would like to see if we can achieve both - phonetic as
    yoga> well as TVSE kannada key board. our reasoning is as follows:
    yoga> one of the chief drawbacks of phonetic approach is `speed'
    yoga> and if TeX has to go far this has to be addressed. along
    yoga> with this consider the fact that there is a large workforce
    yoga> trained in using kannada key board. so that is our aim:
    yoga> there is a person who knows only kannada and he has a
    yoga> kannada document which he wants to typeset and we would like
    yoga> to provide him with the necessary tools. this facility is
    yoga> available for so many languages in the world - arabic,
    yoga> chinese, japanese, ... but of course we dont want this to
    yoga> delay a working kannada TeX and so will get out a phonetic
    yoga> thing out as soon as the fonts are ready.

I do agree with you on all points considering the trained people in
Kannada keying.

--
Radhakrishnan