[Indic-dev] Keyboard [was] Updates

H S Rai indic-dev@tug.org
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:38:02 +0530 (IST)

Today at 11:42am +0530 Radhakrishnan CV wrote:

>       yoga> also, we  would like to  take the kannada  keyboard into
>       yoga> account. any suggestions in this regard are welcome.
>
>   Is  it not  a  phonetic keying  the  best way  to  go, instead  of
>   assigning glyphs to non-intuitive keys  in the roman key board (as
>   CDAC has  done, horrible IMHO).   The learning curve is  too steep
>   for  it, while  phonetic scheme  is intuitive  enough which  means
>   any  novice can  key  in  his data  in  his  native language  very
>   easily. That is what we followed in Malayalam.

For persons, who work mostly in English and use USA-keyboard, phonetic
approach is suited. But,  for person who is used  to kannada keyboard,
may find using "kannada" keyboard easy.

Is it right to make lovers of local language to keyin using "phonetic"
approach?

Offcourse,  if both  way are  possible, then  it would  be great. But,
whatever I expressed is my personal feeling without any experience, as
I never used any keyboard other than with US english layout.

Other aspect is that, if there is no taker, or use of "accounting
into regional keyboard", then why waste energy/ resources.

--
H.S.Rai