[Indic-dev] Some interesting facts

Duvvuri Venu Gopal indic-dev@tug.org
2 Nov 2002 13:52:24 -0000

Dear friends

I am glad after my first two e-mails the Indic-Development
group formed for development of TeX. In the meanwhile
during my search I found the following facts which may be of
some interest for you.

1) The Kannada TeX system was developed from the Telugu TeX
system!

2) I am giving below the ISO-639 language codes for Indian
Languages given in 'Internationalization of Texinfo'.

as: Assamese
bn : Bengali/Bangla
bo : Tibetan
bh : Bihari??
dz : Bhutani
gu : Gujarat
hi : Hindi
kn : Kannada
ks : Kashmiri**
ml : Malayalam
mr : Marathi
ne : Nepali
or : Oriya
pa : Punjabi
sa : Sanskrit
sd : Sindhi**
si : Sinhalese
ta : Telugu
ur : Urde**

The languages marked ** may be of Arabic script.

  and en : English

3) There is already an "Indica" package by Yannis Haralambous.
For details see "Indica, an Indic preprocessor for Tex -
A Sinhalese TeX system".

While developing the "IndicTeX" the above points may be kept
in view.

D. Venu Gopal