[gentium] font variants for pdflatex

pavel.farar at centrum.cz pavel.farar at centrum.cz
Sun Jun 4 15:25:59 CEST 2023

>AFAIR we only need to copy the resulting tfm, fd, and maybe vf(?)
>files into the project to use them, as they can just use the ttf
>or pfb from the installed gentium-tug package. (No idea about vf,
>I had that bundled in an old old $dayjob project for a paid-for
>font.) A .sty is not necessarily needed either as just setting
>\rmdefault suffices.

What I did is a bare minimum. You just need to replace some *.enc and *.tfm
files. It changes how the encoding T1 behaves. It uses the SS01 feature, usage
without SS01 is lost. However, for e.g. English and German you can still use
the fonts without SS01 and with extra kerning pairs if you set the font
encoding LY1 (texnansi).

You can set different 'texname' with otftotfm, keep all existing files
untouched; add generated files, adapted *.fd (and maybe *.sty) files and
after that you can use T1 both with and without the SS01 feature.

You don't need virtual fonts (*.vf) if you use just characters from single
font file. Virtual fonts make it possible to use characters from several files
just like one font (it was once common to have basic font and expert font with
extra characters). They can also be used to create accented characters from
the base character and accent if the accented characters are missing (this is
what the package 'fontinst' does). otftotfm can create the character dotlessj
if it is missing in the font (and uses *.vf to enable it). For your case, you
don't need to care about *.vf.

Pavel