[gentium] font variants for pdflatex

Thorsten Glaser tg at evolvis.org
Wed May 24 22:38:57 CEST 2023

Hi,

On Wed, 24 May 2023, pavel.farar at centrum.cz wrote:
[ long explanation ]

Thanks, this makes some things clearer. I will certainly experiment
with that, now I know that I need to change both the .enc and .tfm
files.

>Updating (and maintaining) the Ruby scripts wouldn't be the easiest way for me
>(I don't use Ruby). I thought that it might be easier for me to rewrite them

Me either, I’d prefer to not have to install it. I personally write
Korn Shell scripts the most but can deal with Python or py3k even.

>to Python. Now, it seems to me that completely different approach using
>otftotfm might have its advantages.

Indeed.

>I might refresh my memory and create some basic scripts that would enable
>using the SS01 variant of gentium. At the beginning I wouldn't try to imitate
>the current state of the package, I would just make it somehow usable. Let me
>know if you are interested in it, Thorsten.

Thanks, but no need to do this on my account, I *think* I have enough
information now to do it myself. I don’t need this “right now”, so it’s
a bit of backburner thing for me atm, and if I don’t manage it I can
still ask back. I *am* impressed by the amount of support I generally
get in the Tₑχ/LᴬTᴇΧ world (though it admittedly needs it, and too often
parts of the advice like switching engines don’t fit) and appreciate
this a lot.

>Just be patient if I do not respond immediately. I can be slow
>sometimes.

Yeah, it’s a hobby after all. I haven’t brought out a new stable
release of my shell for two years now or so… still so much to do…

Thanks,
//mirabilos
--
<igli> exceptions: a truly awful implementation of quite a nice idea.
<igli> just about the worst way you could do something like that, afaic.