[gentium] font variants for pdflatex

Thorsten Glaser tg at evolvis.org
Mon May 15 22:26:37 CEST 2023

Hi,

how would I access the font variants (for me, ss01 is the most important
one, but a generic solution would be better) in Gentium Plus in pdflatex?

As far as I understand, I would have to change the .enc/.?fm files.
However these seem to be manually committed into the source repo,
not created as part of the build process, so there is no single point
where I can just change that bit of the build, ceteris paribus, then
rebuild the package and be happy.

Ideally, the package would have a way where I could say…

$ make featureset='cv37 cv47 cv68 cv69 cv77 ss01 ss11 ss12 cv79'

… and it would give me a set of files to either install or bundle
with my document, and then I could do…

\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{gentium-cv37-cv47-cv68-cv69-cv77-cv79-ss01-ss11-ss12}%

… and it would use the so-styled font. This would give the users
the best flexibility, en par with TypeTuner, while not having to
install all possible combinations of stylistic variants directly
or bother to figure out which variants affect which encodings,
etc. ahead of time.

(Note I did an ASCIIbetical sort on the features for the installed
name used above, while the $(featureset) make variable is in the
order of the upstream documentation. Sorting this for installation
probably makes sense.)

Thanks in advance,
//mirabilos
--
15:41⎜<Lo-lan-do:#fusionforge> Somebody write a testsuite for helloworld :-)