[Fontinst] fontinst fontdsize variance?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Feb 8 19:47:58 CET 2016

[Lars and I have had an exchange about design size variances.  We
thought we should resend it to the list for public archiving.  So
several messages follow, slightly edited. --karl]

Hi Lars - ... please see the attached ectiup1440.vpl file
(created by Boris Veytsman) specifically the two lines:

(MAPFONT D 0 (FONTNAME ecti1440) (FONTDSIZE R 14.4) (FONTAT R 1.0))
(MAPFONT D 1 (FONTNAME ecrm1440) (FONTDSIZE R 14.4) (FONTAT R 1.0))

That 14.4 is slightly different from the value that's actually in the
ec*1440.tfm files.  E.g.:

$ tftopl /usr/local/texlive/2015/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/jknappen/ec/ecti1440.tfm| grep DESIGNSIZE
..
(DESIGNSIZE R 14.399994)
..

I believe the result of this discrepancy is warnings from vftovp.  Thus:

$ vptovf ectiup1440.vpl
$ vftovp ectiup1440.vf >/dev/null
Design size in VF file being replaced by TFM design size
Design size in VF file being replaced by TFM design size
$

I'm afraid Boris and I stopped debugging at this point.  How does
fontinst compute that fontdsize value?  Can anything be done?

Thanks,
Karl (and Boris)