[Fontinst] maths accents

Dr. Clea F. Rees cfrees at imapmail.org
Sun Aug 8 03:21:02 CEST 2010

A couple of days ago, I noted that fontinst causes problems with the
placement of maths-specific accents.

Is this because newlatin.mtx contains this:

\foreach(accent){grave,acute,circumflex,tilde,dieresis,hungarumlaut,%
       ring,caron,breve,macron,dotaccent}
    \ifisglyph{\str{accent}}\then
       \resetglyph{\str{accent}}
          \glyph{\str{accent}}{1000}
          \resetdepth{0}
       \endresetglyph
    \Fi
\endfor(accent)

but there is no similar code in mathit.mtx (for OML) or mathex.mtx (for
OMX) and no metrics file at all for MSBM?

This isn't a big deal for me because the font I've got puts the accents
(at least the wide ones) in the wrong place anyway (relative to TeX's
expectations, at least) - so even if fontinst did the right thing, the
metrics would still have to be corrected. But I thought it might be
helpful to add similar code to the metrics files for maths, if anybody
would be willing to do that.

Also, I would like to know whether I am aware of the list of maths
accents. At the moment, I am correcting depth for:

vector
tie [not sure whether I should be in this case or not]
hatwide
hatwider
hatwidest
tildewide
tildewider
tildewidest

If anybody could confirm this list is complete (w/ or w/o tie) or tell
me if I've missed something, I would be very grateful.

Thanks very much,
cfr