[Fontinst] ITC Galliard CC - ff, ffi & ffl ligatures

Plamen Tanovski pgt at arcor.de
Tue Apr 28 20:51:41 CEST 2009

> > If all glyphs in fglra8a and fglria8a are already in a slot, then
> > there's no need to reencode them; just use the 8a fonts directly.
> > This is related to the 8r.enc issue below.

Yes, it is my mistake, there is no need for modification of 8r.enc,
because all glyphs in the alt font are in the default encoding, as I
saw in the postscript file. There is no need to reencode the alt font
also.

Lets try the roman fonts. The following is my main file:

%%%
\input fontinst.sty

\recordtransforms{fgl-trans.tex}

\transformfont{fglr8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{fglr8a}}}
\transformfont{fglrj8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{fglrj8a}}}

\fromafm{fglr7a} % Not sure this is needed

% Obtaining the right names from the alt font
\reglyphfonts
    \renameglyph{ff}{V}
    \renameglyph{ffi}{Y}
    \renameglyph{ffl}{Z}
    \renameglyph{fj}{j}
    \reglyphfont{fglr7ax}{fglr7a}
\endreglyphfonts

\installfonts

\installfamily{T1}{fglx}{}

% We take the ligatures from the alt font, disabling kerning for precaution
% t1fj.etx adds the fj ligature
\installfont{fglr8t}{fglr8r,kernoff,fglr7ax,kernon,fglfj,newlatin}{t1,t1fj}{T1}{fglx}{m}{n}{}

\installfamily{T1}{fglj}{}

% Oldstyle is tricky, because additionaly we have to take the three accents from the other font
\installfont{fglrj8t}{fglrj8r,unsetacc,kernoff,fglr8r,fglr7ax,kernon,fglfj,newlatin}{t1,t1fj}{T1}{fglj}{m}{n}{}

\endinstallfonts

\endrecordtransforms

\bye
%%%

fglfj.mtx sets the kerning for the fj ligature (like newlatin for the other)

%%%
\relax

\metrics

\setleftkerning{fj}{f}{1000}
\setrightkerning{fj}{j}{1000}

\endmetrics
%%%

t1fj.etx adds the fj ligature in the slot of perthousandzero

%%%
\relax

\encoding

% We use perthousandzero
\nextslot{24}
\setslot{\lclig{FJ}{fj}}
   \comment{The `fj' ligature.  It should be two characters wide in a
      monowidth font.}
\endsetslot

\nextslot{102}
\setslot{\lc{F}{f}}
      \ligature{LIG}{\lc{I}{j}}{\lclig{FI}{fj}}
      \ligature{LIG}{\lc{I}{i}}{\lclig{FI}{fi}}
      \ligature{LIG}{\lc{F}{f}}{\lclig{FF}{ff}}
      \ligature{LIG}{\lc{L}{l}}{\lclig{FL}{fl}}
      \comment{The letter `{f}'.}
\endsetslot

\endencoding
%%%

usetacc.mtx unsets the three accents

%%
\relax

\metrics

\unsetglyph{cedila}
\unsetglyph{hungarumlaut}
\unsetglyph{ogonek}

\endmetrics
%%%

Finetuning of the accents placement is needed, though.

best regards

--
Plamen Tanovski
Prager Str. 125, 04317 Leipzig