[Fontinst] ITC Galliard CC - ff, ffi & ffl ligatures

Christopher Adams chris at raysend.com
Mon Apr 27 16:32:53 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Plamen Tanovski <pgt at arcor.de> wrote:

> \installfont{fglrj8t}{fglrj8r,newlatin,fgllig}{t1}{T1}{fglj}{m}{n}{} %
> i.e,
>
>  Load newlatin after fglig.

Ah, an elementary error in syntax. This indeed solves the problem. Thank
you!

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 8:57 PM, <cfrees at imapmail.org> wrote:

> A bonus would be not just getting these ligatures to work on {fglj} (since,
>> as I mentioned, these glyphs are actually on fglrj8r), but to put them on
>> {fgl} as well.
>>

> If the fgl fonts simply lack the glyphs, just add the appropriate call
> to the fglj font on the install lines.
>
> e.g. \installfont{fglr8t}{fglr8r,fglrj8r,fgllig,newlatin}... or
> whatever. But you can't use this method if the fgl fonts themselves
> contain glyphs called ogonek etc. The method using \reglyphfont is
> probably simpler to use here. You can probably do it, but it may be
> rather awkward.

In fact, the Roman does contain precisely those three glyphs! So it seems I
would have to first rename the glyphs on OldStyleRoman {fglrj8r} and then
add them to Roman{fglr8r}. I will have to revisit the /reglyphfonts command.
Is that the way to do this?

The situation with the fj ligature is analogous. It is in the j slot of
Alt-Roman {fglra8a} and Alt-Italic {fglria8a}. Alt-Italic also has us, as &
is ligatures in the [, \ and ] slots, if you can believe it.

If I want to make use of these ligatures, I need to reglyph them with unique
names, write a new .etx file with the new names and the right rules, process
these and then add the result to {fglr8t}? I see that I can't accomplish
this with the single line that is now giving me the ff, ffl & ffi ligatures.

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Plamen Tanovski <pgt at arcor.de> wrote:

> > The ff, ffl & ffi ligatures are encoded on the OldStyle fonts as cedilla,
> > hungarumlaut & ogonek, respectively.
>
> Madness. This means, all composite characters with those accents
> nonexistent in the font should be removed.

Yes, I had noticed this when I first got my hands on the typeface, and was
testing out the glyphs by outputting all possible values of \char. These
ligatures were being composited as if they were diacritical marks. This is
only true of the OldStyle-Roman. The plain Roman doesn't have any strange
encodings.

ITC Galliard was first issued in 1992. I believe the method of encoding
assumes that typesetters will switch fonts manually when they want access to
alternate glyphs.

I'm curious to learn, what should they be doing instead?

Thanks again for all your help!

- - christopher a.