[Fontinst] ITC Galliard CC - ff, ffi & ffl ligatures

Christopher Adams chris at raysend.com
Mon Apr 27 13:00:29 CEST 2009

Dear all,

As my very first fontinst project, I'm trying to work with the typeface ITC
Galliard from Carter & Cone (in PC Type 1 format).

Following Phillipp Lehman's excellent tutorial, I managed to get Small Caps,
lining and text figures all working properly. No mean feat, as this is the
first time I've done anything remotely like this.

However, in order for the typeface to be even minimally useful, I really
need to get ff, ffi & ffl ligatures working (fj would be nice, too, but that
one is sitting on an Alternate font that I haven't touched yet).

The fl and fi ligatures just work "out of the box."

The ff, ffl & ffi ligatures are encoded on the OldStyle fonts as cedilla,
hungarumlaut & ogonek, respectively.

Now, I can access these glyphs using the \char command, but I would prefer
to have TeX insert them automaticlaly.

Following an example from your archives I tried the \reglyphfonts command,
but this failed for me, as it did for the author of this post:
http://www.tug.org/pipermail/fontinst/2005/001503.html

A better path seemed to be writing a separate mtx file and using Alan
Hoenig's \saveglyphas command, viz:

%%%%%%%
\relax
    This is fgllig.mtx, to redefine glyphs in the ITC Galliard CC font.
\metrics
\setcommand\saveglyphas#1#2{%
    % eg \saveglyphas{numbersign}{TT}
    \setglyph{#2}
        \glyph{#1}{1000}
    \endsetglyph
    \setleftkerning{#2}{#1}{1000}
    \setrightkerning{#2}{#1}{1000}}
\saveglyphas{cedilla}{ff}
\saveglyphas{hungarumlaut}{ffi}
\saveglyphas{ogonek}{ffl}
\endmetrics
%%%%%%%

In my naïveté, I would think this should suffice. Do I really need an new
.etx as well, since T1.etx appears to already include the commands for
dealing with these ligatures?

The relevant lines from my fontinst script are:

%%%%%%%

\input fontinst.sty
\needsfontinstversion{1.926}
\recordtransforms{fgl-OSF-rec.tex}

\transformfont{fglr8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{fglr8a}}} %Roman
\transformfont{fglri8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{fglri8a}}} %Italic
\transformfont{fglrc8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{fglrc8a}}}    %SmallCaps
\transformfont{fglrj8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{fglrj8a}}}    %OSF Roman
\transformfont{fglrij8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{fglrij8a}}}    %OSF
Italic

[...] %skipping 13 lines that install my {fgl} family

\installfonts
\installfamily{T1}{fglj}{}
\installfont{fglrj8t}{fglrj8r,newlatin,fgllig}{t1}{T1}{fglj}{m}{n}{} % i.e,
fgllig.mtx
\installfont{fglrcj8t}{fglrc8r,newlatin}{t1}{T1}{fglj}{m}{sc}{}
\installfont{fglrij8t}{fglrij8r,newlatin,fgllig}{t1}{T1}{fglj}{m}{it}{} %
\endinstallfonts

\installfonts
\installfamily{TS1}{fglj}{}
\installfontas{fglr8c}{TS1}{fglj}{m}{n}{}
\installfontas{fglr8c}{TS1}{fglj}{m}{sc}{}
\installfontas{fglri8c}{TS1}{fgljd}{m}{it}{}
\endinstallfonts

\endrecordtransforms
\bye

%%%%%%%

Am I doign this correctly? I'm afraid I really don't know how to proceed. Do
I use OT1 enconding instead, as Alan Hoenig's examples do? Do I fork my own
.etx and add the necessary commands by hand?

A bonus would be not just getting these ligatures to work on {fglj} (since,
as I mentioned, these glyphs are actually on fglrj8r), but to put them on
{fgl} as well.

Your help is much appreciated!

- - christopher adams