[Fontinst] How to combine just one extra letter from another font

John D Lamb J.D.Lamb at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 10 18:35:05 CEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-10 at 04:52 +0200, na199 at gmx.de wrote:
> A book will be printed with Times typeface.
>
> As known, the letter "v" in Times in math looks very similar to the greek "\nu"
> and both letters appear quite often.
>
> Therefore the idea is to replace the replace the "v" with the rounded version
> from the NewCenturySchoolbook typeface (I found nothing better) - but not in
> the upright fonts, only italics.

Have a look at the section on the euro symbol in Philipp Lehman's 'The
Font Installation Guide'. It tells you how to change just one letter of
a font.

You may also have to adjust the pair kerns for v. You will also need to
change the height and slope of the v if you want it to match Times.
Again, Philipp Lehmann's guide tells you how. The one thing you can't
easily change is the weight. New Century Schoolbook is heavier than
Times and this will show almost regardless of what you do. The only
thing I can think of the might help is using Fontforge to edit a copy of
Times italic and editing the shape of the v to match New Century
Schoolbook.

It might be easier to live with the shape of the v. Or, since Times is
not a good book font, to try something better. Palatino or Minion Pro
are fairly easily available.

--
JDL